How to sew a canopy on a crib with your own hands
When a child appears in the family, parents try to give him all the best, to provide maximum comfort, a cozy atmosphere. One of the useful textile accessories for a baby’s room is a canopy for a crib. It is purchased in a store, complete with other items for sleeping or sew with your own hands.
The canopy over the crib or cradle will not only decorate the interior, but also make the child more comfortable in it. Under the canopy, it is more difficult to penetrate bright light, insects, cold, and the newborn will feel protected, since external stimuli are minimized. Older children will also not refuse such a semblance of a “house”, hiding from prying eyes, especially if it is decorated in accordance with their wishes.
Advantages, disadvantages of four-poster bed
The main advantages of the canopy:
- It gives comfort to the child - before birth, the baby “lived” in the limited space of the mother’s body, therefore, in a space protected from all sides, it can sleep peacefully for many hours a day;
- dense canopy will protect from sunlight, light indoor lamps, which contributes to rapid falling asleep;
- in summer, the space is replete with insects - mosquitoes, flies, and repellents can not be constantly used. A fabric tent made of transparent fabric prevents the parasites from getting to the child;
- canopy originally complements many interior styles - provence, romanticism, classics and others;
- younger schoolchildren and preschoolers will be happy to play in an impromptu hut;
- protection against drafts and cold canopy will also provide.
Cons of the canopy:
- a lot of dust settles on the canopy, which is dangerous for allergy sufferers;
- very little air enters through excessively dense textiles;
- if the drapery is improperly performed, a small child is able to get entangled in the fabric and get injured.
To make the canopy house safe, it and all the textiles in the room are washed at least once a week.
The canopy is mounted on special holders having a round, oblong, U-shaped. The structure is mounted on the wall at the head, in the center above the bed, along the perimeter. When attaching the first option, which provides cover only for the head, a holder in the shape of the letter “P” is used, which is attached using screws and a canopy is put on. Placement in the middle is made on an oval or round base, resembling a hoop - while the bed is covered partially or completely. For hanging around the perimeter, the racks are mounted above the corners of the crib - on it itself or on the ceiling. Curtains are simply thrown on top, forming a "roof".
A child older than six or seven years old is already able to clearly explain which canopy you like, therefore his opinion should be taken into account.
The most suitable types of fabric for sewing a canopy:
- thin linen;
The fabric is chosen strong, wear-resistant - textiles in the children's room are washed very often. Kapron, organza is rarely used, since it is almost completely synthetic. In cold rooms, where drafts are frequent, ivy, velvet, tapestry, knitwear are allowed.
The smoother the textile chosen for sewing, the less dust accumulates on it, which means you can wash less often.
Canopies will best fit into such interior styles as:
The color of the fabric should contribute to a good night's sleep, combined with the color of bedding, and other room textiles. Most often, the canopy is performed in pastel colors, powder tones. Sometimes the color of the canopy is selected by the corresponding walls or made contrasting, accent.
The gender of the child is also important - for girls most often sewn canopies from pink, peach, purple fabric, for boys - from blue, gray, blue. The universal idea is snow-white, it gives the room an incredible elegance. Two-color options are also acceptable:
- red with white and pink;
- brilliant green;
- sky blue with violet;
- apricot with periwinkle;
- bronze with light green;
- aquamarine with beige;
- silky with floral white;
- pistachio with slate blue;
- amaranth pink with spruce;
- turquoise with lilac;
- pale chestnut with chamois;
- zinnwaldite with sunny yellow;
- fuchsia with dusty blue.
If desired, the canopy is made rainbow, multi-colored, then the rest of the interior design should match.
How to sew yourself - a step-by-step master class
Self-tailoring of a cape located above the child’s bed allows you to save money and show your creativity. The design, decor of the canopy over the cradle, the crib of the preschooler, the bed of the teenager will be different, the required amount of textile material will also be different.
For the same bed, it is desirable to have two canopies - a summer netting that saves from insects, a winter one - protecting from the cold.
What is needed for sewing
To make the canopy you will need:
- sewing machine;
- the cloth;
- threads to match textile;
- sewing needles;
- paper for patterns;
- braid for dressing;
- hook to hang from the ceiling;
- hoop or piece of stiff wire;
- drill for drilling a hole for a hook.
If the shape of the canopy is different from the rectangular, the pattern is drawn using a ruler, a curve, a pencil. A drawing is drawn on a piece of wallpaper, any other material. The easiest way to make an item from a quadrangular or round piece of fabric, collected in the upper part. First, it is necessary to process the edges of the material - tuck, overcast or draw lace, oblique trim. The upper edge is attached so that a wide drawstring is obtained into which the hoop is threaded. The latter is decorated with a ribbon, a loop for hanging is made from it.
Another simple option is also made from a rectangular cut, but two front corners are cut in a semicircle. To depict a smooth line, apply various patterns, circle a round plate, a jar. The junction of the two halves of the product is made out with a large beautiful bow, the contours - with gathered lace.
The greatest labor costs will be in the implementation of the "royal" canopy model. A frame is pre-created, it is best to make it of chrome steel - with this material the curtains will easily slide when closing-opening. The top of such a “palace” is made closed or open. It is recommended to use a thin, translucent fabric so as not to get the effect of a “box”.
- measured the length, width of the bed, the height of the placement of the beams on which the suspension is made;
- four identical rectangles are cut out of a wide fabric - two large for the side parts, two smaller for the ends;
- on the top of the details drawstrings are pulled on, put on the crossbars;
- the lateral and lower edges are bent or decorated with lace, the middle - with accessories in the form of bows to match the fabric, felt flowers, animal figures, etc.
Another idea of a canopy, worn on a frame located around the perimeter of the bed, consists of four identical parts placed at the corners. Curtains are moved apart on both sides, relative to the corners; in the half-closed form, their middle is attached to vertical supports with the help of hooks.
How much tissue is needed - how to calculate the amount
The size of a piece of textile required to create a canopy depends on the dimensions of the bed, cradle, and the length of the cape itself:
- very long - reaches the floor surface, lays in folds on a plane, gets confused in the wheels of the crib. The length of the fabric cut here is two distances from the floor to the place of attachment, plus 20-40%, depending on the dimensions of the bed;
- middle - hangs to the plane of the berth, covering it, sometimes it is made in the form of a “cover” on the ties. The length here is measured in the same way, not to the floor, but to the middle of the height of the bed;
- short - has a decorative purpose, representing a canopy, well transmits light, air. Material on it will need very little.
The width of a piece of fabric for products that are practically devoid of folds corresponds to the length of the crib or exceeds it by no more than 30%. For more voluminous versions of the material, two to three times more is taken.
The standard cut for the trellised crib of the baby is 150 by 250 cm or 200 by 300 cm.
Self-made canopy frame
The frame for the cloak is also made by hand. It is made of thick but flexible wire, wooden, plastic hoop. A good idea is a freestanding forged stand with a protrusion with a ring at the top. Some options are mounted directly on the bed using clamps, clamps, represent a stable tripod.
Often, a whole frame made of wood or metal is erected under the curtain. Vertical parts serve as supports; horizontal ones are designed for hanging fabric. The variant looks originally when the curtains “flow” directly from the ceiling - for this purpose, a string cornice is mounted in a plasterboard ceiling structure, on which a canopy is hung.
Recommendations on how to choose a finished canopy
When choosing a finished product for children pay attention to the material of manufacture. It should be environmentally friendly, stained (not fade during washing), not fade in the sun. It is advisable to choose soft, pleasant to the touch fabrics. When the crib is located near the window, the textile is selected tight, in the depths of the room - more openwork, translucent.
For each age category, different recommendations are given for choosing:
- for a newborn - the curtain is made light, but not completely transparent, except when the room is located on the sunny side or drafts often occur in it. Then choose dense materials;
- for a toddler - at this age, the child is mobile, but the coordination of movements is still poor, and the desire to explore everything around can lead to the fact that the baby just gets confused in the curtain, especially when it is long or mesh. Because the curtains are made short, medium, from the most non-marking fabric;
- three to seven years - children become stronger, but not all of them understand that it is impossible to hang on the canopy - the curtain can break off. It is important here to secure the frame as firmly as possible, to fix it correctly;
- from eight years to adulthood - the child already feels almost adult, he has hobbies that can be partially realized using a canopy. The girl’s bed will then become the house of a teenage Barbie, a cozy princess palace with all the attendant attributes, the boy will feel like a pirate, sailing on a ship with sails, a van driver with curtained windows.
Decorate the canopy in different ways. For very small jewelry should not have sharp, solid, easily detachable parts, with which the baby is able to get hurt, choke.
What is suitable for decoration:
- lush bows;
- photo prints;
- colored cords;
- textile stars, hearts, animal figures.
Such decor as wooden, plastic beads, textured stripes should be firmly fixed so that the baby could not tear it off.
Any adult wants to make the life of their children comfortable, safe for them. Some people buy a standard set of furniture, other necessary attributes, others - they make some of the items on their own. Sewing a beautiful canopy for the nursery is not difficult, because any options how to create it step by step are easy to find on the Internet, on sites for designing curtains, and other home draperies.