Design of a bedroom in Khrushchev +75 photo examples
The design of a bedroom in Khrushchev is sometimes difficult to fit into modern stylistic concepts. The houses were built according to the standard model without any architectural excesses. The boxes were small, cramped and designed to accommodate a functional minimum. The rows of these five-story buildings grew like mushrooms after rain, and the apartments were designed for temporary use. The era of the construction of the Khrushchev began in the late 50s of the last century and lasted almost 30 years. They received their specific name in honor of the then General Secretary of the CPSU Central Committee. The main distinguishing features of the Khrushchev became poor sound and heat insulation. Years passed and what was planned to be used no more than a dozen years, stood for almost half a century. After the collapse of the USSR, housing prices so increased that to be the owner of even a typical, outdated “box” was considered a success. Any homeowner in such an outdated house sooner or later decides to redevelop and repair. Let's try to figure out how to equip a small bedroom so that its features do not interfere with joining one of the modern design areas.
Types of bedrooms
Although the construction was of a typical nature, over 30 years many projects have been created, each of which is very different from its predecessors. Work was done on the mistakes, taking into account the desires of the national consumer. Among the so-called series, the six most popular are distinguished. The bedrooms in them differ in size, layout and location in the apartment relative to other rooms.
According to the layout
According to the layout of the bedroom in Khrushchev, it can be conditionally divided into two types:
- The correct form. Usually, we are talking about rectangular rooms;
- Irregular shape. There are architectural "sophistication" for every taste. Such bedrooms could be in the form of multifaceted geometric figures or have niches, the purpose of which was never solved by anyone until the end (they were often used as storage rooms).
Even the owners of rectangular bedrooms have to deal with difficulties. A narrow space is difficult to arrange, since all the furniture is usually located along one wall, and the other remains empty so as not to clutter the passage. As a result, part of the area, which is already sorely lacking, remains unused. As a rule, such elongated bedrooms contain only a functional minimum: a closet, a bed and a pair of nightstands. Now you can hang a flat TV on the opposite wall, which will not eat extra meters. But more often it is intensely decorated to close the void that will catch the eye. Ideal for the design of such a room is the style of minimalism. As a rule, the area of bedrooms in Khrushchev does not exceed 12 sq.m. Compared to spacious studios, these rooms look more like a compact bed. But even they can be ennobled and the “spirit” of standardization can be completely deduced. The owners of one-room apartments, who are starting a redevelopment, often allocate even less space (about 8 sq.m) under the bedroom. Such tiny rooms are obtained by dividing those same rectangular rooms. It is not possible to “halve” them along; therefore, two square-shaped rooms are obtained. Unfortunately, the window in them is only one and not the fact that they decide to leave it just under the rest room. In this case, you will have to competently work on multi-level lighting, which will completely replace the natural.
Three types of bedrooms in Khrushchev are distinguished by size:
- 12 sq. m. A wide bed, two miniature bedside tables and a wardrobe for storing things fit in such a room. To fit the "boudoir" addition - a dressing table with a mirror and an armchair or an ottoman, is quite difficult. To do this, you will have to “sacrifice” one of the bedside tables or a cabinet. The problem disappears if one person sleeps in the room and the bed is narrow enough for him.
- 8-10 square meters In such bedrooms, the requirements for the furniture minimum are even stricter: one bed and a dressing table, a workplace, two bedside tables or a narrow wardrobe to choose from. Preference is given to that interior object, in which there is a great need.
- 6 sq. In such tiny bedrooms only a double bed and a bedside table will fit. The workplace or dressing table is replaced with a specially designed window sill. A convenient option for such a room will be a folding sofa, which will turn into a bed at night, and during the day when assembled it will free up more space.
An ergonomic solution will be the placement of a corner built-in cabinet. This form will make this piece of furniture inconspicuous. The embedded system will economically manage the space to the ceiling.
The location of the bedroom is divided into two types:
- "Independent" rooms. They are usually located in two- and three-room apartments. Such bedrooms are used only for their intended purpose;
- Combined options. They are used in apartments that "survived" the complete redevelopment and demolition of all internal partitions. Thus, out of obsolete Khrushchev, a modern studio is obtained.
In the latter case, the room is zoned in the following ways:
- The furniture. Ideal for these purposes is a through rack;
- Partitions. Both “monumental” and mobile structures are used;
- Different finishing materials;
- Color or light;
- An improvised "pedestal" on the floor on which the bed is erected.
The “studio” option is not recommended for use in Khrushchev if several people live there. As a result, a free “zone” for one will turn into a complete lack of personal space for all other households.
Interior decoration and design
Before proceeding with the repair and decoration of the premises, it is necessary to determine the style. Each direction is characterized by certain materials. In a small bedroom, minimalism, Scandinavian and industrial style organically look. In some cases, a more “noble” variation of the latter is used - loft. Minimalism is characterized by the use of expensive, natural materials. Repair in this style will not work budget. The decoration is dominated by stone, metal, light or dark wood. The color scheme is chosen from calm, neutral tones: white, black, gray. Scandinavian style uses a combination of blue, green and blue. The simplicity of decoration is offset by a few, but stylish decor. Loft favors unprocessed surfaces. The bare brick wall has become the hallmark of the style. He also uses simple furniture and minimal decor, which allows you to rationally place accents.
In small bedrooms, the walls are usually finished practical and simple:
- Papered with wallpaper. In this case, it is allowed to use only plain colors with light, subtle patterns (white flowers on a delicate peach). Vertical stripes, large prints and vibrant hues fall under the taboo.
- Paint. The most budget option. It is used if the walls of Khrushchev are perfectly smooth and do not have visible defects, which is quite rare. Solid walls will be a good backdrop for the original decor.
- Combined options. Relevant in cases where the owners want to revive the situation, without weighing it down. The accent wall (above the head of the bed) is usually papered with wallpaper imitating natural material, and the rest is painted.
There are a number of types of finishes that are not recommended for use in small bedrooms: drywall, porcelain stoneware, PFH panels, wooden paneling, cork.
The following materials are used for flooring:
- Linoleum. Refers to budget options. You can lay the rolled material with your own hands without the involvement of specialists.
- Carpet. Whimsical to care, as it collects dust.
- Parquet board. It has an average cost and is suitable only for a specific style solution.
- Laminate. Some types of material (office) can withstand heavy loads.
- Porcelain tile. Heavy duty material. An excellent combination of quality and price.
- Ceramic tile. It is difficult to fit into the interior of the bedroom, as the material evokes strong associations with the kitchen and bathroom.
The color of the flooring is chosen neutral without bright accents. Expensive options include bulk floors. They fit well on any basis, are shockproof, durable and provide a flat and smooth surface. It can be matte or glossy at the choice of the customer.
To design the ceiling space, use the following materials:
- Decorative plaster. It is relatively inexpensive and allows you to simulate any texture of complexity.
- Paint. Outdated but practical option. Once every couple of years, this coating will have to be changed due to fading and cracking.
- Ceiling tile. For the material to last a long time, give preference to the injection or extruded type. The life of the cheapest “stamping” will be no more than 5 years.
- Plasterboard constructions and stretch ceiling. For bedrooms in Khrushchev they are rarely used, since they eat extra centimeters, which is not permissible for low ceilings.
The selection of lighting in the bedroom is not only a visual expansion of the space, but also the creation of warmth and coziness. Light sources in addition to local (functional areas) should be provided for multilevel. Since the height of the rooms is small, in the ceiling lighting it is necessary to give preference to the bush lamp (analogue of a flat chandelier). Visually “extend” the room will help sconces on the walls, which will shine vertically. For relaxation, a yellow and warm spectrum is better. The location of the sources should be provided so as to “advantageously” use the style of decoration of the room (wallpaper pattern, decorative elements, stucco molding, etc.). An original solution is the directional ceiling lights of warm light located above the window. The use of floor lamps in a small room is not recommended, so as not to conceal excess space. They are completely replaced by a sconce or a lamp on the bedside table. Depending on the lifestyle of the owners, you can also install the lower (night) row of floor or bed lighting using LEDs. In a room with a missing window, it is worth placing an overhead lamp with adjustable intensity, as it will be the main source of light in the daytime.
Furniture and decor
Before choosing a room furniture, you need to correlate your needs with the capabilities of the room. Naturally, the bed, bedside tables and wardrobe should correspond to the chosen style. When choosing a situation, they are guided by its dimensions and external design. In minimalism, objects with straight lines and sharp corners are used. Their colors are relatively “poor” in neutral colors. The loft does not recognize clear limitations in either form or color. The main thing is that the furniture is in harmony with the decoration of the room. Scandinavian style prefers light wood and textiles in white and blue colors.
In rooms larger than 9 square meters, it is quite easy to fit a double bed. In the standard layout, a space is left under one of the walls and the bed is laid so that there is a wide passage. A real gift for the owners is the correct form of the room. With the arrangement of furniture in a rectangular or square room there are no problems. For the premises of non-standard forms, a special atmosphere is selected, sometimes even to order, so that not a centimeter falls into the "useless" zone and is not lost. The bedrooms are less than 9 square meters. It’s difficult to fit a spacious bed. If the room is designed for a child or teenager, then even two households will fit in a bunk bed, which will take a minimum of space and save space. Unfortunately, this practical option is suitable only for children's rooms and is completely unsuitable for a couple who do not want to huddle in separate sleeping places. In this case, it is worth thinking about multifunctional furniture. A folding sofa will save the situation.
Round beds fit into small rooms, their cut corners free up space. If the bed is also white, then this option will add “airiness” to the bedroom.
The relatively spacious bedrooms have large wardrobes or fitted wardrobes. An economical option will be corner furniture, which looks beautiful and does not interfere. For small rooms use open storage systems. In their role, shelving or a number of wall shelves are most often. The main advantage of this method of organization is their ability to “offload” space. Of course the whole wardrobe cannot fit on such shelves, but they will become an addition to the main cabinet, which they put in the living room.
Curbstones and dressers
In tiny bedrooms, these interior objects become luxury. It’s almost impossible to allocate a place for them, which is inconvenient, since there’s simply nowhere to hide the “small things”. The window sill is redesigned under the countertop, and under it they will organize a narrow area for storing combs and cosmetics, which will replace the chest of drawers. In more spacious rooms, symmetry is abandoned and only one bedside table is installed. The freed up space, which was intended for the second, is used to place a wide chest of drawers with a mirror and a soft pouffe. By the way, symmetrical arrangement of furniture is used only in classical styles. The three modern areas that are chosen for bedrooms in Khrushchev calmly relate to unpaired elements in the design of the room.
Do not overload the bedrooms with decorative elements. The room intended for rest should not look like a pantry with vases, figurines and souvenirs. In the loft style, wall decoration is already considered the main part of the decor. It is complemented by thematic paintings or posters. In minimalism, they use only empty vases of simple shapes, wall sconces or a collage (triptych) with the image of pacifying landscapes. In the Scandinavian style they choose animal skins on the floor, a national ornament of the northern peoples in textiles or panoramas with winter nature. Each style is enlivened by a pair of indoor plants in tall pots that are placed directly on the floor. The window sill is not used for these purposes, as this may limit the flow of natural light into the bedroom.
To save space when designing a bedroom in Khrushchev, they use the following tricks:
- Mobile storage. Small, neat boxes are placed in a corner in a light mess. This stylish solution is used in all types of rooms.
- The working area is equipped near the window. The window sill turns into a narrow tabletop, on which the functional minimum fits.
- Bedside tables are replaced by tall (up to the ceiling) narrow racks on either side of the bed. In the color scheme, light shades are preferred, so as not to burden the space.
- A similar storage area is provided above the head of the bed. For these purposes, choose narrow shelves that will not hang over the sleeping people.
- If the bed is located on a pedestal, then this decorative element is filled with drawers.
The real way to enlarge the room is to use only light colors in the design with a pair of contrasting accents that will draw attention to themselves and slightly depersonalize the rest of the environment, thereby allowing it to “breathe”.
Although the Khrushchevs were built as temporary housing, their operation dragged on for many years and, apparently, this is far from a record. Even the old “box” can be transformed beyond recognition. Modern design solutions allow you to equip any room in accordance with the latest fashion trends. Take on a pair of tricks, create a redevelopment and repair project, and your bedroom will get a chance for a second life.