How to sew a do-it-yourself chair bag
Practical, comfortable furniture has always been appreciated. She adorns the interior of the house, helps to relax after an exhausting working day. With the gradual popularization of various styles in the interior, objects began to put forward special requirements. In addition to convenience, they should not contradict the chosen direction in the design of the premises, correspond to fashion. And although traditional options remain quite in demand, frameless products are becoming increasingly popular. They are very attractive, mobile. If desired, and the presence of a sewing machine, you can easily sew a chair bag with your own hands, create your own ottoman, folding sofa or bed. Homemade models will cost several times cheaper than purchased counterparts.
Frameless constructions appeared in the second half of the 20th century. They quickly gained recognition, entered the everyday life of many people. The absence of a rigid, bulky frame is the main highlight of the products. In fact, these are large bags that have the following structure:
- Removable (external) case. This is the “face” of the subject in question. For tailoring apply natural fabrics, leather, suede. Its color, shape and size may be different.
- Inner container. This is the functional element that holds the filler. It is made from a very durable material that can withstand heavy loads. It is equipped with a zipper, which allows you to completely remove, to fill up loose substances in case of shrinkage.
- Filler. They use both natural components in the form of beans, buckwheat husks, and artificial ones, for example, foamed polystyrene, PVC granules.
The bean bag chair provides complete relaxation to many muscles. It is quite safe and reliable, so it is often installed in children's rooms, not worrying about the health of the baby. It can also be found in the bedroom or living room. When choosing a special fabric treated with water-repellent substances, the finished product is used on the terrace, in the gazebo, in the garden, some take it for fishing, nature.
Advantages and disadvantages of a frameless chair
A soft product is an excellent alternative to standard models. It is able to decorate any room, fit into the chosen style. Under the weight of a person, the chair takes on a special shape, which allows the vacationer to relax as much as possible, spend time comfortably reading a book, watching their favorite TV shows, communicating with their family. This design has a number of positive qualities, but not without flaws. Among the main advantages are:
- Mobility. The finished product is lightweight, often equipped with a special handle located on the lid. This allows you to easily move it around the apartment, move or rearrange it to another place.
- Benefit for health. Doctors recommend using frameless models for people who have spinal problems. Due to the ability to take the contours of the human body, the product provides reliable support for the spinal column.
- Safety. Furniture does not have a frame; accordingly, it does not have sharp corners, solid parts, which makes it possible to install it in a children's room.
- Environmental friendliness. Natural materials used for sewing covers, natural fillers, allow you to create an environmentally friendly product.
- Simple care. The outer cover is quite simple to clean from any dirt, and if necessary, it can be removed and washed in a washing machine.
- Durability. If damaged, the outer fabric can be sutured, but there is simply nothing to break inside.
- Attractive appearance. The original structure and a wide selection of color palettes will allow you to choose a product that matches any style.
- Safety flooring. The absence of a point load makes it possible to move an object across the floor without spoiling it.
- Comfort and versatility. Absolutely all people of any age can rest on such a chair, regardless of height and weight.
The disadvantages of frameless structures include the following points:
- The main disadvantage is crushing of the filler. Over time, you need to fill it up.
- The outer cover requires periodic cleaning and washing.
When installing a chair in a children's room, it is necessary to monitor the child so that he does not accidentally unfasten the cover, which can lead to unpleasant consequences for cleaning up spilled raw materials.
The choice of fabric for the cover
Before starting work on independent sewing of the product, you should understand the types of fabric that can be used in the manufacturing process. The material must meet the following requirements:
- have an attractive appearance;
- high strength and density;
- wear resistance;
- simplicity in leaving.
Consider the most popular raw materials used to make a removable cover:
- Cotton. It is characterized by durability, hygiene. This is a natural textile that has no competitors. Finished products can be installed in children's rooms.
- Velours. Represents a pure-wool fleecy fabric. This option is used only at home.
- Faux suede. Pleasant to the touch material that allows you to enjoy comfort. It is very durable, resistant to chemical influences, does not fade over time, does not lose its structural qualities.
- Oxford. Its density depends on the thickness of the thread. May have a polyurethane coating that provides water resistance. She is not very pleasant to the touch. This option is suitable for sewing street models, as well as for cafes, offices, public institutions.
- Faux leather. A new type of artificial skin, which does not cause allergies, provides good air exchange, does not have an unpleasant odor. It is very easy to care for her, just wipe the surface with a wet rag. Thanks to a large selection of colors, you can fit the chair into almost any existing style.
For the manufacture of the inner cover using different textiles. Experts recommend the use of lining windproof fabric (Taffeta 290). It is quite thin, has a unique ability to retain air, which allows the product to adapt to the parameters of a particular person. You can also apply satin, satin, cotton.
For sewing a frameless bag chair with your own hands, you can use different fillers. Each material has certain characteristics. Some are unacceptable for allergy sufferers, others are too expensive, and others are unsuitable for use in outdoor conditions. However, all existing species can be divided into several main categories:
- wood shavings and sawdust;
- feathers of poultry;
- buckwheat husk.
- polystyrene foam;
- polyurethane foam;
Materials at hand:
- hay, straw;
- pieces of foam;
- cotton wool;
- old clothes, textiles.
There is a wide variety of raw materials that can be used to fill frameless furniture. The main thing is to make the right choice of fabric for sewing a cover through which the used filler will not leak.
About the size of the chair
When choosing the optimal parameters for the chair, various factors are considered. First of all, take into account the growth of a person, the availability of free space in the room where the product will be located. The main dimensions are given in the table:
|Age years||Height, cm||Diameter cm||Height cm||The size||Installation location|
|0-6||< 120||70||95||M (medium)||Children|
|6-18 + adults||120-160||85||110||L (large)||Children's, bedroom, living room|
|Any||<185||90||120||XL (eXtra large)||Living room, bedroom|
|Any||> 185||110||140||XXL (double eXtra large)||Living room, bedroom|
Popular models and features of tailoring
Manufacturers of popular bean bags offer a huge range of products. They can be of various shapes, sizes, colors. Each soft padded stool will perfectly fit into any interior. You can make the product yourself according to your own unique pattern, combining several types of materials in one armchair, original ideas.
For sewing such a model, special drawings are used - more often it is a few wedges and a round bottom. To save matter, the patterns are laid out compactly, bringing the narrow and wide part as close as possible.
First of all, the bottom parts are swept and stitched. Then go to the side parts. One side must be left. The product is turned out and all the seams are sewn again, grabbing allowances - this will give strength to the pear chair. Now sew the zipper and hexagonal detail of the top.
The model is more reminiscent of a soft ottoman than a chair, since it does not have a back. The seat is squeezed under weight and becomes comfortable for the seated. For sewing, use the technique of several wedges. It will take 6 side blanks and 2 hexagons - the bottom is two times larger than the top. All parts are swept and stitched. The outer cover is supplemented with Velcro - sew along the perimeter, fixed at the corners with a crosshair.
Sewing an original product with maximum design similarity with a soccer, basketball will be more difficult. To do this, you need to choose the material of suitable colors and carve several dozen hexagons. The number of items will depend on the size of the ottoman and personal preferences.
The design of the product resembles an elongated ottoman with a lowered back. On such an armchair it will be convenient to sit reclining. The universal model is suitable for both adults and children. Compact dimensions allow you to place the pouf anywhere in the room.
They make stylish pieces of furniture according to a simplified scheme, unlike previous options. You will need to cut and sew the side parts, bottom, back, seat. The tops can be sewn on or tied with a lace.
Step-by-step workshop on sewing a chair
The frameless design of the chair allows you to adapt it to any needs and requirements. With your own hands you can make a comfortable seat for an adult or a child, direct the backrest at a certain angle. After choosing the appropriate model, size and type of fabric, you can proceed to the manufacture of chairs. All work is carried out in stages, starting with the preparation of tools and materials and ending with the stitching of a stylish furniture accessory.
Necessary materials and tools
The first paragraph of the instructions of any workshop is the preparation of tools and materials. To create a frameless ottoman with a back or a soft sofa, you will need the following items:
- The cloth. Two types of matter will be required - for the inner cover it is dense and breathable, for the outer one - upholstery decorative;
- Threads. Fasten structural elements only reinforced with high-strength fibers with a polyester core;
- Zippers. To make the covers airtight, you will need two zippers, tractor or spiral;
- Sewing machine. Accelerates the stitching process, provides smooth, durable stitches.
- Tailoring large scissors, chalk. For convenient marking and quick cutting of patterns;
- Filler. To stuff the inner cover, I often use expanded polystyrene. Its quantity depends on the size of the chair.
Pattern and sewing order of the cover
Any frameless chair with a filler consists of two covers of approximately the same size. The color and texture of the bottom part does not matter. The main requirement is durable material. The outer cover should fit into the interior of the room.
First of all, you need to make patterns. For work, special paper with a 2-5 cm cell is suitable. We mark out the details according to a predetermined size, using a piece, cut it out, apply it to the ironed fabric and circle it with chalk. Sewing a bean bag chair is very simple, takes place in several stages:
- Transfer the patterns to the fabric, cut out;
- We connect the largest part with the sides, sew, leave room for a zipper on one side;
- Sew round bottom, seat. We apply lightning and attach;
- In the upper part we make holes for air outlet and sew on a comfortable handle;
- In the same way, we prepare a cover of a slightly larger size already from decorative fabric.
When cutting each part of the inner, outer cover, it is necessary to leave a few centimeters at the seams.
Stuffing is the last, crucial stage in the manufacture of a bean bag chair. One of the covers must be filled into 2/3 of the foam balls. You can’t immediately turn the bag with the filler into the bag, especially trying to push the granules with your hands. Airy and naughty elements scatter white snow all over the room.
A paper funnel or a plastic bottle without a bottom and a neck will help in this case. The album sheet of paper should be folded in the form of a cone, fastened with tape or glue and placed in a bag of a chair. Tighten the zipper well. On the upper wider part, put on a bag with polystyrene foam, fix and gradually pour out the contents. By the same principle, you can use a plastic bottle.
Thanks to simple actions, you can quickly and easily fill the chair with light granules. This method is used when filling the contents when the balls sit and take.
Rectangular armchair from old jeans
The accumulated jeans that have gone out of fashion or simply worn out will be an excellent material for sewing a comfortable rectangular chair, as in the next step-by-step master class. For one comfortable sofa you will need 6-7 jeans trousers, a filler, accessories for cutting and sewing.
We wash the washed items of clothing into rectangles of arbitrary size, trying to make a minimum of waste in the form of tight seams, pockets. Fit pieces with embroidery, clasp. We iron all the pieces and lay them on the table with a slight overlap on each other. Pieces of different colors, sizes and textures will look great in a single piece.
We cut off all the sour cream details, retreating from the edges a couple of centimeters, with a special double line for jeans. We connect the two halves, attach the bottom and top. In the small hole left, place the filler and close it with a zipper.
How to care for a bean bag chair
Frameless chairs consist of two covers. The upper part can be easily removed and washed, which makes soft poufs very practical. You can restore elasticity and density to the filler with a simple refill. This will have to be done approximately once a year. Non-standard furniture care has its own characteristics:
- Even the smallest spots on the top cover must be removed immediately;
- Regular pouring of the filler will protect from deformation and rupture of the canvas;
- You can not place a soft chair near radiators, fireplaces, heating appliances. High temperature negatively affects the state of foam balls;
- Do not use bleaching fluids, formulations containing ammonia, or solvents to clean chairs or pillows;
- To wash the outer cover, you must use powders designed for the type of fabric, observe the temperature regime.
How to choose a bean bag chair in a store
Soft chairs produce a variety of shapes, colors, designs. Depending on the size and quality of the materials used, they can be divided into budget, medium and luxury models. The most often bought original pieces of furniture are from the middle price segment. When buying, you need to pay attention to the following:
- The cloth.Matter must be breathable and sufficiently dense;
- Filler. Expanded polystyrene balls are allowed only whole, since the crushed parts do not hold the load, and small particles of dust come out of the upholstery and spread throughout the house;
- The size. The most convenient parameters - height - 130 cm, diameter - 90 cm, seat height - 50 cm;
- Inner case. It must be nylon, smooth throughout the structure, have an internal moisture resistant layer;
- Lightning. The length of the zipper of the outer cover should be at least 100 cm, the inner - 50 cm.
The chair bag is a special piece of furniture. A self-made accessory will help diversify the home interior, fill it with modern fashion trends. Lightweight frameless furniture is easy to manufacture. It is convenient to sit on it in any position due to the properties of the filler, which takes the form of a body. Making soft poufs is a fascinating, interesting activity, which even a person unrelated to sewing can handle.